L-glutamine is the most abundant amino acid in the bloodstream.
L-glutamine benefits the body in the following ways:
1. Improves gastrointestinal health because it is a vital nutrient for the intestines to rebuild and repair
2. Helps heal ulcers and leaky gut by acting as a Band-Aid for protection from further damage
3. Is an essential neurotransmitter in the brain and helps with memory, focus and concentration (
4. Improves IBS and diarrhoea by balancing mucus production, which results in healthy bowel movements
5. Promotes muscle growth and decreases muscle wasting
6. Improves athletic performance and recovery from endurance exercise
7. Improves metabolism and cellular detoxification
8. Curbs cravings for sugar and alcohol
9. Fights cancer
10. Improves diabetes and blood sugar
Doing approximately one hour of exercise can cause a 40 percent reduction of glutamine in the body. It can also cause suppressed immune function. This has a negative impact on your resistance training and may lead to overtraining syndrome.
Supplementing with L-glutamine allows your muscles to fight and push a bit further, which boosts your strength and helps repair your skeletal muscles.
L-glutamine supplementation makes it possible to recover quicker from intense weight training sessions because it improves muscle hydration. This aids the muscle recovery process and reduces recovery time for wounds and burns.
L-glutamine also burns fat and builds lean muscle mass by helping suppress insulin levels and stabilize blood glucose. This enables the body to use up less muscle mass to maintain blood sugar and insulin sensitivity in the cells. For this reason, L-glutamine benefits diabetics and those with sugar and carb cravings as well.